DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY & IMAGING - PROJECT 1


15/10/18- 5/11/18 (Week 8- Week 11)
Andrea Vie Choong Jia Qi (0331945)
Digital Photography & Imaging
Project 1
Recomposition of Jacek Yerka's Artwork
_____________________________________________________________

INSTRUCTIONS

Module Information Booklet (MIB)



_____________________________________________________________________________

PROGRESS OF MY RECOMPOSITION OF JACEK YERKA'S ARTWORK

15/10/18 (Week 8)

We were briefed on our project 1 in class. We had to choose an artwork by Jacek Yerka and re composite his artwork using our own images or free stock images.  We are free to use any tools and techniques we learned so far in our digital photography exercises. 

I chose to do on Jacek Yerka's artwork "Chess on the island".


Fig 1.1 Chosen Artwork

I used some of my own photos and some from the free stock photos website, pixabay and pexels. I searched for similar and referenced images that can represent each element in the artwork.
Fig 1.2 Picture references #1: Island concept, sea, sky


Fig 1.3 Picture references #2: Chairs, horse chess, table, castle


Fig 1.4 Picture references #3: fishes, clock

_________________________________________________________________________________

22/10/18 (Week 9)


After gathering all my picture references, I started off by creating the background first then to the other elements in front. 

I used the brush tool, quick selection tool, layer mask mostly to recreate the artwork.


Fig 1.5  Screenshot of layers

Fig 1.6 Background- sea and sky


Fig 1.7 Screenshot of layers- island layout

Fig 1.8  Island-like layout

Fig 1.9 Screenshot of layer- chess, chairs, table, clock

Fig 1.10 Horse chess playing chess

After combining the picture references together in one composition, I used several hue/saturation to adjust the colours of each element to make it look like the colour of the object in the real artwork. 

Fig 1.11 Screenshot of layers- final outcome with details 

Fig 1.12 Side-by-side comparison: Left: Original artwork, Right: My recreation
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

29/10/18 (Week 10)

I showed my overall progress of my work to Mr. Jeffrey and he gave me feedback on the improvement and the good comments on my work. He said that the composition is good but there is lack of perspective in each element. Everything looks flat. Whereas in the original artwork, there is perspective in each element to make it stand out.

He suggested that I can use the grass brush tool with a darker colour and add shades to the edges of the grass and greenery. And adjust the shadows and highlight for the rest of the objects.
Fig 1.12 Final outcome: My recreation of Jacek Yerka's artwork (1st attempt)

After getting some feedback from Mr. Jeffrey, I amend some changes to the colour filter of the elements to make more look blended and 3-dimensional. I changed to the colours to look more yellowish like in the original artwork.

Fig 1.13 Final outcome: My recreation of Jacek Yerka's artwork (After feedback)
_________________________________________________________________________________

5/11/18 (Week 11)

SUBMISSION DAY!

Fig 1.14 Final outcome: My recreation of Jacek Yerka's artwork


Comments

Popular Posts